Sessions at a Glance

Click on any session to read a description and reserve your spot

* Weekly Reoccuring Session (same day, same time, progressively new material)

 

Week of Feb 27th

 

Coming Soon

Currently under production, stay tuned for what we have coming up!

 


megan.png

Megan is the Program Director at Hack Oregon, and Hack University alumni.

Budget Team Meeting

Led By: Megan McKissack

Monday February 27th

Meet from 6-9 pm

In this week's meeting:

The Design & Research team will fine tune user stories, determining what can be illustrated by the data and start sketching out ideas and wireframes.

The data team will continue the postgres database development, storage, and modeling process.

Hugh and Mike are developing the architecture of the data structure with a proposal to ingest the data of the parks budget and model a database as an example of processes from landing data, ingesting data, consumption, modeling the database and API, then serving it to the front-end. The success of this example project will help set and define process for other data.

This workshop is: Open to Budget Team only


Most-Famous-Felines-034.png

Mark is a member of the  Hack Oregon Budget Team contributing. He is also a Hack University TA for the Big Data APIs course and the Hack Oregon Data Librarian.

Zak is a Hack University alumni and a Tech Lead on the Hack Oregon Homelessness Team. He has experience using Python both for data science and as a server side language. Huge fan of the Django REST Framework

Turn Your Database into Data Products : APIs

Led By: Mark Wheeler & Zak Kent

Tuesday Febraury 28th

Meet from 6-8 pm

The world is full of data, and the value of understanding and creating data products is becoming increasingly valuable. Developing an API is similar to creating an app, in that it is a application engine data product everyone can use to share their data with the world.  When you create a website you are producing two products, the public facing visualizations being one and the API the other.

Join us in this hands-on three part workshop series where we will build APIs from scratch. Some of you may have already have experience building APIs - that’s great! - come to this workshop to learn how to really optimize it!

Here’s a breakdown of what each series part will cover:

Session 1 : Overview and Intro

  • Django REST Framework best practices/cheat sheets

    • How to set it up, Creating a repo - clone it and fire it up

  • Walk through how to create a project and learn how to load example data

Session 2 : Bells and Whistles

  • Create browsable API endpoints

  • Fake data for fixtures

  • Auto Generated Documentation - Swagger testing practices

Session 3 : Build Workshop

  • Loading your Hack Oregon project team data, bring it!

What You Should Install Before Class:

  • Python 3
  • Pip
  • VirtualEnv

If you are having trouble installing any of these, please email april@hackoregon and we'll get you started!

This workshop is: Open to Everyone



AAEAAQAAAAAAAAc9AAAAJDFkMzY0MGJmLTliNzktNDQ1NC05YzgxLWM5MjJhYTljMzkxYw.png

Derek is the Front End Lead for the Hack Oregon Housing Team and a Hack University TA for the React course.

Front End Open Build

Led By: Derek DeMaria

Tuesday February 28th

Meet from 6-8 pm

This session is to discuss the front end development workflow, component library development, management, as well as handling routing and state in regard to building the Civic Platform. This is an important meeting to attend for all team front end leads and react.js developers as this will help define the structure of platform development and how the team projects will be developed within it. 

This workshop is: Open to Everyone


Most-Famous-Felines-034.png

Ven is the Chief Recreation Officer @LandApart and was a key contributor to the conception of the Civic Lab website.

rainbowunicorncatcopy.png

Adrienne is the Design Lead on the Hack Oregon Housing Team and a Hack University alumni.

Platform Design Time

Led By: Ven Gist and Adrienne Tilley

Tuesday February 7th

Meet from 6-8 pm

This is geared towards anyone who is curious about how to build a platform from conception to launch and wants to contribute to the overall design process for Hack Oregon’s civic data portal.

Platform Design time is meant as a forum for designers to gather, to work, collaborate, and get feedback on their collection work for the Hack Oregon platform as a whole. Anyone is welcome to swing by with any questions on the platform itself or if you’re on a team - how your collection will work within it.

This workshop is: Open to the Platform Design team


catheadshotsized.png

Sanjuro is the Facilitator for the Hack Oregon Transportation Team and enjoys telling stories with data. 

Transportation Team Meeting

Led By: Sanjuro Jogdeo

Tuesday February 21st

Meet from 6-9 pm

Missed last week's meeting? Here's a brief run down of what happened! For more detailed notes and happenings check out your project team folder.

We divided ourselves between the two technical Civic Lab sessions going on, Building GIS Workflows and Architecture and API Documentation and Structure, with most opting for the GIS class. This gave us time to get everyone up to speed about what has been going on in team. If you would like to get caught up on the project, you'll find newly revised documentation in the GitHub transportation-backend readme and wiki.

Tonight's Meeting:

We are have started displaying the team's weekly goals on the wiki. We'd love to get a very simple demo up and running, so if you've got some time, hop on in!

This session is: Open to Transportation Team Only

 


hannahkane.png

Hannah Kane is the Facilatator for the Hack Oregon Emergency Response Team.

Emergency Response Team Meeting

Led By: Hannah Kane

Wednesday February 22nd

Meet from 6-9 pm

Missed last week's meeting? Here's a brief run down of what happened! For more detailed notes and happenings check out your project team folder.

Updates in the Database:

  • We uploaded a new fire department dataset from 2010-2016 to AWS

  • Created tables integrating census blocks with fire blocks 

  • Key constraints almost fully implemented

We also created a data dictionary, everyone should check it out in our team GitHunb - its awesome.

Front-end is currently waiting for the meta-work to unblock us.

After a round of discussing what's been done since the previous meeting, we went through existing tickets to update/edit/close them as needed. We agreed up a couple of shared conventions: "blocked" and on hold" labels describe issues that shouldn't be picked up just yet. People should feel free to self-assign tickets that don't have either of those labels - more than one person can be assigned to a ticket.

Chris made updates to the wiki, to follow them check it out in our GitHub.

What we will be working on tonight, and who should come:

  • You want to contribute to the wireframes for the dashboard

  • You want to help think about product decisions. In advance of the meeting you may want to persue the "Questions the Dashboard Can Help Answer" section of the wiki, as well as the Product Statements page. 

  • You want to help compute some metrics (like this or this or this or this)

  • And maybe even compute metrics using census (or this or this) and zoning data

  • You've got some great fire/ER-related puns to share

This workshop is: Open to Emergency Response Only


Most-Famous-Felines-034.png

Gabriele is the Facilitator for the Hack Oregon Housing Team and the Academic Director of Hack University.

Housing Team Meeting

Led By: Gabriele Hayden

Wednesday February 22nd

Meet from 6-9 pm

Missed last week's meeting? Here's a brief run down of what happened! For more detailed notes and happenings check out your project team folder and GitHub for wiki updates.

The API is being refined, and Eric is the point person for this - check out the updates on our GitHub and reach out to him if you interested in working on this.

We made changes to map design MVP and working on adding some accompanying text that helps the narrative, like defining what cost burden is. We also created new wireframes!

Esme and Eric are moving forward with the backend workflow and looking beyond the MVP. While our front-end team is still waiting on the docker and aiming for a prototype map.

Tonight's Meeting:

We have a guest speaker coming in from EcoNW, Margaret Raimann, to discuss the maps they created for the Portland Housing Center in order to help us refine our own data visualizations around housing affordaiblity in Portland.

This workshop is: Open to Housing Team Only


Most-Famous-Felines-034.png

Ven is the Chief Recreation Officer @LandApart and was a key contributor to the conception of the Civic Lab website.

rainbowunicorncatcopy.png

Adrienne is the Design Lead on the Hack Oregon Housing Team and a Hack University alumni.

Jen Macias is a designer on the Hack Oregon Homelessness Team and also runs the Portland Chapter of Ladies Wine and Design

Creating Your Collection Graphic

Led By: Ven Gist, Adrienne Tilley, and Jen Macias

Thursday February 23rd

Meet from 6-8 pm

As you've seen in the specs for the upcoming Civic Platform, each project has a graphic embedded with the title at the top of each collection. This graphic can take many forms and is meant to provide some personality to the collection while utilizing data the team has collected.

Come join us as we discuss the best use of that space and how you can make a data-driven graphic that would fit your team. In this two-part session we'll plan on getting to work and coming out with a few ideas and feedback from fellow designers toward a shared vision. 

You'll need to know the direction your project story is heading and have either access to the data for your team or a good understanding of what you have available.

This workshop is: Aimed toward project designers, but open to everyone


Most-Famous-Felines-034.png

Jen Macias is a designer on the Hack Oregon Homelessness Team and also runs the Portland Chapter of Ladies Wine and Design

gearicon.png

Infographic Design

Led By: Jen Macias

Thursday March 2nd

Meet from 6-8 pm

This week’s workshop will be about the applying basic design principles to your data visual or information graphic.  We’ll explore color, typography, and visual hierarchy.

This workshop is: Open to Everyone


peterusso.jpg

Pete is the Facilitator for the Hack Oregon Homelessness Team.

Homelessness Team Meeting

Led By: Pete Russo

Thursday February 23rd

Meet from 6-9 pm

Missed last week's meeting? Here's a brief run down of what happened! For more detailed notes and happenings check out your project team folder.

 Jen, the Infographics Design session led, ran a collaborative design workshop on data visualizations with the Homelessness data; and helped the team come closer to narrowing down core stories. 

Kristen developed a rubric for structuring stories. And we created a form for collecting stories for current and future projects.

The data team gathered and discussed the feasibility of the ACS and other datasets. And Janet came up with an interesting idea to explore our data through an interactive game. 

Members made plans to meet on Saturday to finish fleshing out the core cards, which will be discussed at this weeks meeting.

Action Items (by next session)

  • UX: Wireframe, user test, and spec 3 cards
  • Data: Explore pulling in ACS and Census data

What to expect for tonight's meeting:

  • We'll be looking at wireframes generated by the design team and judging whether they are feasible and compelling, and what other work needs to be done to get them ready for the front-end team.

 

This workshop is: Open to Homelessness Team Only